Advertisement - horizontal

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chilton Hospital, NJ nurses honored for Haiti work

Two nurses from Chilton Hospital were honored at the American Red Cross of Northern New Jersey's "A Touch of Red Gala" March 13: the Emergency Department's Jonathan Cotton, RN, of Kinnelon (second from left), and the Same Day Surgery Department's Nancy Snel, RN, of Pompton Plains (second from right). Also pictured are Cotton's guest, Melissa Dobias, and Snel's husband, Gary.
POMPTON PLAINS — Two nurses from Chilton Hospital, Jonathan Cotton of Kinnelon and Nancy Snel of Pompton Plains, were honored for helping Haitians in need.

In 2010, Cotton provided medical aid in Port-au-Prince to earthquake victims, while Snel aided Haitians stranded in the Dominican Republic.

The nurses were recognized at the American Red Cross of Northern New Jersey’s A Touch of Red Gala, which was held on May 13.

The event honored 30 New Jersey health care professionals who provided medical aid to people of impoverished nations.

The event took place on a cruise ship on the Hudson River and included an awards ceremony, dancing and an art show.

“The most amazing part of the night for me was the doctors and nurses that I was lucky enough to meet,” said Snel, an RN in the same day surgery department.

“It gave me a renewed sense of pride in my profession, and I am making plans to attend another mission as soon as I can.”

“Rather than a final goal, I hope that receiving this award will mark the beginning of a lifetime of service for me,” said Cotton, an RN in the emergency department. “I look forward to my next trip to Haiti in September.”

Cotton said he plans to expand his nonprofit organization, My Aid For Haiti, as well as returning to school to pursue master's degrees in nursing and public health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Post Use Name/URL (Enter a unique name)
OR
Log in with Goggle Account if you have one